Dear list,

for some time now we had the issue that the sysupgrade command did not work.

So here is the output of my first attempt to sysupgrade 3.10.18-1 to 3.10.21-1:

root@nacktmulle:~# sysupgrade -d 60 -n -v
/home/persistent/cerowrts/3.10.21-1/3.10.21-1-sysupgrade.bin
killall: watchdog: no process killed
Sending TERM to remaining processes ... udhcpc lighttpd crond lighttpd snmpd
xinetd dbus-daemon odhcp6c zebra babeld watchquagga avahi-daemon rngd ntpd pimd
minissdpd dnsmasq sh ubusd askfirst netifd
Sending KILL to remaining processes ... ubusd askfirst
Switching to ramdisk...
mount:  /proc is not a block device
umount: /tmp/root: not mounted
Failed to switch over to ramfs. Please reboot.
root@nacktmulle:~#

As you can see this did not work. After a reboot I removed the mount-utils
packet:
root@nacktmulle:~# sysupgrade -d 60 -n -v
/home/persistent/cerowrts/3.10.21-1/3.10.21-1-sysupgrade.bin
killall: watchdog: no process killed
Sending TERM to remaining processes ... udhcpc lighttpd crond lighttpd snmpd
xinetd dbus-daemon odhcp6c zebra babeld watchquagga avahi-daemon rngd ntpd pimd
minissdpd dnsmasq ubusd askfirst netifd
Sending KILL to remaining processes ... ubusd askfirst
Switching to ramdisk...
Performing system upgrade...
Unlocking firmware ...

Writing from <stdin> to firmware ...
Upgrade completed

The root cause for the sysupgrade filure with installed mount-utils is the fact
that mount-utils' /usr/bin/mount has different calling conventions than busy
box's /bin/mount which in result make sysupgrade fail. So the easiest solution
for sysupgrade is to remove mount-utils before running sysupgrade. (An
alternative proposed earlier would be to edit the sysupgrade script to always
call /bin/mount and /bin/umount)

Bonus, on my router I mount a swp partition and a home partition (ext4)  from
an usb stick, both mount fine without mount-utils installed. So maybe we can
move mount-utils out of the default installs?

Best Regards
        Sebastian