On Tue, 20 Sep 2016, dpr...@reed.com wrote:

I constantly see the claim that >50% of transmitted data on the Internet are streaming TV. However, the source seems to be as hard to nail down as the original claim that >50% of Internet traffic was pirated music being sent over bittorrent.

It's my firm opinion that in the past 5-15 years (depending on market), more than 50% of Internet traffic is video, in some form or another.

This is from working at ISPs and seeing where traffic went. First it was bitorrent (pirated video), now it's Youtube, Netflix and other kind of streaming video. I wouldn't call this "TV" though.

In my household (2 adults, 1 6 year old), 75% of the average weekly traffic by volume, is over IPv6. I haven't checked in detail, but my guess is that Youtube+Netflix is the majority of this traffic. I come to this conclusion by looking at when the traffic occurs and what the traffic levels are, and from remembering what was done at the time.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se