On Thu, 2 Dec 2021, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:

"Valdis Klētnieks" <valdis.kletni...@vt.edu> writes:

On Wed, 01 Dec 2021 13:09:46 -0800, David Lang said:

with wifi where you can transmit multiple packets in one airtime slot, you need
enough buffer to handle the entire burst.

OK, I'll bite... roughly how many min-sized or max-sized packets can you fit
into one slot?

On 802.11n, 64kB; on 802.11ac, 4MB(!); on 802.11ax, no idea - the same as
802.11ac?

As I understnad it, 802.11ax can do 16MB (4MB to each of 4 different endpoints)

This is made significantly messier because the headers for each transmission are sent at FAR slower rates than the data can be, so if you send a single 64 byte packet in a timeslot that could send 4/16MB, it's not a matter of taking 1/128,000 of the time (the ratio of the data), it's more like 1/2 of the time.

So it's really valuable for overall throughput to fill those transmit slots rather than having the data trickle out over many slots.

David Lang