I think there's more of an argument to be made for a ban on drugs than
there is for laws to influence consentual sexual conduct (excluding
pedofilia)... The problem is that no ban on drugs, no matter how well
defined or how well applied will ever eliminate the problems you
describe (which are valid issues). So that being the case, the US
attempts to solve that problem by simply making the drug bans more and
more strict until we reach this point where someone who makes a stupid
mistake in college could wind up in jail for a decade (overcrowging in
prisons = other can o' worms), meanwhile drug dealers continue to get
rich, and drug abusers continue to commit crimes to support their
habbits (more so because the drugs are more expensive), still rely on
public health care when they get sick (and bother to do anything about
it) and still fail to care for their children and produce more
criminals. (Although not every abusive/neglectfull parent produces
criminal children -- my parents rather dangerously neglected my sister
and myself.) Yes, chronic drug users are problematic for everyone. I
don't believe our drug laws have helped that situation much if any.

> What effect does an individual's drug use have on the rest
> of society.

> When that individual goes out to commit crimes to support
> their drug habit.When
> they fall sick and must use Public Health care at the
> expense of tax payers.When
> they fail to care for their children and therefore produce
> criminals.

> This affects others outside of the individual. He doesn't
> shove cocaine up
> anyone else's noses, but he has a negative effect on
> society when he becomes a
> chronic user.

> Therefore how does Society protect itself from that?

> I'm interested to know, if the answer isn't laws and we
> are to adopt a
> laissez-faire attitude toward everything.

> -Gel

>    _____

> From: Monique Boea [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>  So then we should have no laws?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Marlon Moyer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> I believe that should be left up to the individuals
> themselves.  I'm not
> sure that I understand why this could be dangerous.  I
> mean, I understand
> that if someone wants to take some hardcore drugs and ends
> up killing
> themselves, then yes, it is dangerous, but it's also their
> choice.  I would
> also argue that it's their right.

> Marlon

>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: G [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 8:09 AM
>> To: CF-Community
>> Subject: Re: Senate rejects move to ban same-sex marriage
>>
>> Who's to decide what causes injury Marlon? Is that only
>> physical injury?
>> This idea that once yer in your home, and you are
>> "consenting", that all
>> bets are off........just seems dangerous to me.
>>

s. isaac dealey   954.927.5117

new epoch : isn't it time for a change?

add features without fixtures with
the onTap open source framework
http://www.sys-con.com/story/?storyid=44477&DE=1
[Todays Threads] [This Message] [Subscription] [Fast Unsubscribe] [User Settings] [Donations and Support]

Reply via email to