For what it's worth, I tend to favor a strong states-right view. The
CA medical marijuana law (like Oregon's) is dealing with a plant being
grown in the state, consumed in the state by residents of the state
and regulated by the state. There is nothing interstate about it.

Where I differ from many states rights supporters is that I feel that
10th Amendment puts individuals (the people) on the same level as
states. Individual rights, in my opinion, hold just as much or more
validity as states rights and the 10th Amendment is the strongest
argument for the rights of the people. The Federal Congress is
empowered by Article I, Section 8 to enact such laws as needed to
protect those rights. It's a tough dance though between federal, state
and individual rights.

Judah

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Robert Munn <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> The irony is that the conservatives on the Supreme Court, who you would
> expect to support the states rights argument under normal circumstances,
> took the expansionist view of the commerce clause in the Constitution when
> they ruled against the CA marijuana law. They argued that CA could not
> create its own laws in this area because it would affect interstate trade
> somehow. I see that as a bogus argument and merely legal cover for
> maintaining a ideologically-driven policy that makes no sense in an era when
> a ten year old can get a prescription for Ritalin.
>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Adobe® ColdFusion® 8 software 8 is the most important and dramatic release to 
date
Get the Free Trial
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;207172674;29440083;f

Archive: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-community/message.cfm/messageid:287206
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-community/subscribe.cfm
Unsubscribe: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=11502.10531.5

Reply via email to