Since I am home and my deployment is behind me, I want to publicly thank 
Hatton for being kind enough to host my Iraq blog. I am considering 
writing a book about my units experiences there and the blog will be a 
huge help in remembering what we did and keeping everything in 
chronological order. I may start with small articles and try to get them 
published in American History Magazine and Arm Chair General first and 
see how it goes. Since my major in school is Military History, I figure 
I might as well put my newly acquired skills and knowledge to good work.

I also want to thank everyone for their support and kind words. I have 
said before and I will say it again, we (service members) have never 
asked anyone to support any war our government sees fit to enter, only 
to support the troops, the tools used in the sometimes justified, 
sometimes unjustified expeditions of our leaders. Although we all have 
our differences of opinions, I feel everyone on this list is a good 
person and a kind soul. I feel blessed to have friends (real and 
internet) like you.

I am also aware that some or all of you have noticed a change in my 
attitude towards the war in Iraq. The first half of the deployment I was 
all for it and felt we did the right thing in going into Iraq as we were 
doing great things to help the locals there, especially the ones in the 
very rural areas who literally lived in mud homes. The second half 
though is where my attitude changed, especially on April 10th. I guess 
it never really hit me how senseless it was to go there until I lost 
some very good friends, and seeing first hand how it affects their 
families. I do feel we did good things in Iraq, especially in Mosul 
where we noticed a decline in violence toward the end of our tour there, 
but in the grand scheme of things, going to Iraq was not the best 
decision GW made. Anyway, my point is that I recognize that I have come 
home with new issues that need to be dealt with, and I am going to make 
every effort to get help for these issues once we start the redeployment 
process on Monday. PTSD is treatable. The first step is to recognize you 
have problems, and then seek help. Despite the fact that publicly the 
Army says that they are making every attempt to help us, there is still 
peer pressure keeping us from getting help. I say fuck peer pressure. I 
am going to do what I need to do for ME, not some immature "super macho" 
asshole who thinks that a person is weak if they seek help.

Bruce

PS. Hatton, contact me off list please. I tried to email you but it 
keeps bouncing back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Want to reach the ColdFusion community with something they want? Let them know 
on the House of Fusion mailing lists
Archive: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-community/message.cfm/messageid:302271
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-community/subscribe.cfm
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.5

Reply via email to