Howdy all,
So I upgraded to Yosemite a while ago, and I want to play around with
WordPress. I went through all the steps to get Apache up and running, and it
works fine when I browse localhost. However, when I try to browse
localhost/~brucesorge, I get the message Safari cannot connect to the server.
Safari cannot open the page “localhost/~brucesorge” because safari cannot
connect to the server “localhost”. Also, I can only get to localhost in
Safari, not Chrome. Here are the steps I performed, all in Terminal of course.

Created the brucesorge.conf file and added:

<Directory “/Users/brucesorge/Sites/“>
AllowOverride All
Options Indexe Multiviews FollowSymLinks
Require all granted
</Directory>

Then I set the permissions: sudo chmod 644 brucesorge.conf

I made sure the four lines in the /etc/apache2/httpd.conf were uncommented:

LoadModule authz_core_module libexec/apache2/mod_authz_core.so
LoadModule authz_host_module libexec/apache2/mod_authz_host.so
LoadModule userdir_module libexec/apache2/mod_usrdir.so
Include /private/etc/apache2/extra/httod-userdir.conf

I opened the http-userdir.conf file and uncommented:
Include /private/etc/apache2/users/*.conf

I then restarted apache, but no joy. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bruce