I suppose the first thing to differentiate is the type of contract you get
into.
There's the fixed price contract (which I don't do) and the hourly/daily
rate contract which is how I work.
I have worked directly with a client once, got stung badly when they whent
bankrupt (lost about �22,000...about $30,000) and have never ever
considered going direct since. Using recruitment agents is probably the
best way of getting work. The only thing I would say is that an agent's
cut can vary from 12% up to 30%, BUT, if you are happy with the rate, then
you should have no issue. What becomes an issue (as demonstrated on
www.freelancehq.com) is when the client wants you to extend after being
there 6 months, and the agent is making you too expensive. I personally
believe a cut of 15% is acceptable. I will also not work for an agent that
does not disclose their cut. There has to be a certain amount of trust
between agents and contractors.
Also check their contracts. They can be horrendous! I.E. They can
terminate immediately but you have to give 4 weeks notice or you cannot
refuse a contract extension...
Watch out for even mentioning that you are a first time contractor....when
I started out, the agent I was using absolutely hammered my rate down
saying that the client would not pay the rate I wanted...found out the
client did not know anything about this, and all the agent was doing was
maxing his cut..git. So never appear too keen and play it cool :)
But at the end of the day, agents hunt down work for you, they usually pay
you within a week after presenting them with a invoice, plus you get three
or four calls a week, asking when you are next available...which always
makes you feel wanted :). They do a lot of ground work, you just need to
be aware that some can be real charlatans, so treat them all with a
certain level of mistrust, but if you find a good one, stick with em if
you can!
I've also worked using daily rates, with the understanding that a day is 8
hours....but this really doesn't work well. When requirements change and
deadlines don't get moved out, you days get longer, but your pay doesn't.
I hate suffering for the clients incompetence.
So in essence, get an hourly 'market' rate you like, where the agent is
taking less than 20%,with fair contractual clauses (watch these!!!) and if
you can, do Intranet work. You usually have longer contracts, and the work
can be very varied and complex.
-----Original Message-----
From: Dru Whitledge [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 23 March 2001 15:58
To: CF-Jobs
Subject: Re: Contracts -- examples, boilerplates, components
Excellent subject of which I haven't seen all that seen much posted to
this
list and one that might be quite instructive of WHY there is such
diversity
in our opinions on contracting / consulting. Could contracts (which are
intended to demarcate expectations) describe why some of us have a good
experience with it -- and others don't.
Would those with expertise in this area be willing to share with the rest
of us?
Dru
At 07:10 3/23/2001 -0500, Adkins, Randy wrote:
>I am finally venturing out into the consulting world
>and have 2 prototype websites that I will be displaying
>to my client within the next week.
>
>I am seeking an example of how to effectively
>write up a contract/agreement between myself
>and the client.
>
>Does anyone have an example I can use to model
>mine after?
>
>Greatly Appreciated!!
>
>Randy
>
>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Structure your ColdFusion code with Fusebox. Get the official book at
http://www.fusionauthority.com/bkinfo.cfm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To Unsubscribe visit
http://www.houseoffusion.com/index.cfm?sidebar=lists&body=lists/cf_jobs or send a
message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with 'unsubscribe' in the body.