it would depend on the datatype and the database, but I think their point was that a null value takes up the same amount of space as if it had a value, so it would take the amount of space required to hold a value, but for readability and usability, and possibly because I'm just plain lazy, I would just allow nulls in the first table unless it was a very large datatype.
-----Original Message-----
From: Adaryl Wakefield [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2002 1:54 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [KCFusion] actual space

I had designed a table by where one attribute was going to be occasionly set to null. One of the people in my work group said "No thats bad. It takes up too much space" (ie memory) and proceeded to make a whole other table to handle situations where that one attibute was going to be set to null. I looked at him funny but went along with it. My question is how much space does a null value actually take up as compared to creating another table.
A.