From: cf-metadata-boun...@cgd.ucar.edu
[mailto:cf-metadata-boun...@cgd.ucar.edu] On Behalf Of Tom Kunicki
Sent: 12 July 2011 08:20
To: John Caron
Cc: cf-metadata@cgd.ucar.edu
Subject: Re: [CF-metadata] the need to store lat/lon coordinates in a CF
metadata compliant netCDF file

An observation...

It seems implied that in CF lat/long coordinate values on their own are viewed
as authoritative.  I would argue against this as these coordinate values *need*
to be qualified with their own grid_mappings to define the geodetic datum.  I
am more confident dealing with coordinate values supplied with projected
coordinate systems as these values are often better geo-referenced than
lat/long coordinate values.  Given the lack of a *requirement* to specify a
datum when defining lat/long coordinate values I always treat lat/long
coordinate values in CF files with caution.  Forcing the user to output
lat/long values further perpetuates the idea that these values are
authoritative when in fact they would be redundant and unreliable if not
geo-referenced themselves...

Tom Kunicki
Center for Integrated Data Analytics
U.S. Geological Survey
8505 Research Way
Middleton, WI  53562

On Jul 11, 2011, at 4:12 PM, John Caron wrote:

> [...]
>> (which are not required by CF) in external files and referencing them.
>>
>> There are emerging mechanisms for referring to external information,
>> which can surely be exploited here.
>>
>> All that said, gridspec purposely decided not to break the existing
>> convention of requiring coordinate information in every file. Should
>> we have a specific convention proposal to state that coordinate
>> locations are allowed to be associated from external files?
>>
>> David Blodgett writes:
>>
>>> Hey Steve, All,
>>>
>>> I've been thinking about this a bit and am a bit conflicted, but I would
>>> say it should probably not be required to include both. Not completely sure
>>> we are all on the same page, so if this is off base, I apologize for
>>> confusing the issue.
>>>
>>> The real advantage to requiring that data be presented both in a projected
>>> coordinate system (x(x) y(y)) and a geographic coordinate system (lat(x,y)
>>> lon(x,y)) is that a person can plan on never needing to perform
>>> transformations from projected to geographic coordinates.
>>>
>>> However, this information is essentially redundant because there are well
>>> known techniques to convert to/from projected coordinate systems and their
>>> bas-geographic coordinate systems. This is akin to offering the same data
>>> converted into two unit systems.
>>>
>>> Since the CF conventions do not attempt to support ALL projections (grid
>>> mappings), but rather a subset for which it is not prohibitive to perform
>>> conversions, I tend to think that presenting data using those projected
>>> coordinate systems only is OK. Yes, this puts some responsibility on the CF
>>> compliant software developer to be able to perform geographic projections,
>>> but there are some up sides too.
>>>
>>> For data which is spatially massive, like high resolution satellite imagery
>>> for example, storing the axis definition as two vectors of projected
>>> coordinates requires orders of magnitude less space than storing two 2D
>>> arrays of lat/lon cell locations. Additionally, for grids of this type, it
>>> would likely be unreasonable to perform spatial intersection calculations
>>> in anything but the native "regular" grid space.
>>>
>>> So, I think that a "grid_mapping" (meta-information) specifying the
>>> parameters of the projected coordinate system should be required if the
>>> coordinates represent projected real-world locations. But, the lat/lon
>>> locations corresponding to that grid mapping should not be strictly
>>> required.
>>>
>>> While it seems convoluted, it may make some sense to get more specific
>>> about these issues by saying something like: Non-standard (from appendix F)
>>> grid mappings may be used but in this case the latitude/longitude locations
>>> of the grid cells must be supplied.
>>>
>>> Just my 2-cents. Hopefully this is helpful.
>>>
>>> Dave Blodgett
>>> Center for Integrated Data Analytics (CIDA) USGS WI Water Science
>>> Center
>>> 8505 Research Way Middleton WI 53562
>>> 608-821-3899 | 608-628-5855 (cell)