From: CF-metadata [mailto:cf-metadata-boun...@cgd.ucar.edu] On Behalf Of Ellyn
Montgomery
Sent: 28 August 2012 15:04
To: cf-metadata@cgd.ucar.edu
Subject: [CF-metadata] example of
sea_surface_wave_directional_variance_spectral_density

Hello folks-

We want our wave data observations to be CF compliant, with the
dimensions and representation of time correct.  I believe the data we
collect fits somewhere under Discrete Samples, since we end up with a
time series of wave spectra from our stationary, bottom-mounted acoustic
instruments.  I couldn't find how the file might look in the 1.6
conventions document or appendices, so could someone please direct me to
an example dataset that includes some wave spectra?  Help with which
featureType should be used would also be appreciated.

The Standard Name table says the dimension order should be
S(t,x,y,f,theta).  Since our data is from a point observation (lat and
lon are size (1)), can the X,Y dimensions be dropped, or are they needed
as place-holders?

Thanks very much for the help!
Ellyn

--
Ellyn T. Montgomery, Oceanographer and Data Manager
U.S. Geological Survey