Jonathan:

We are planning on using flags with numeric values as you suggest  Your input
is helpful in that is is deemed unnecessary to specifically identify values in
the definition as is the case with the binary_masks,  This provides additional
flexibility to data producers.

Revising the proposal per your recommendation …

standard_name: cloud_phase_category

definition:

A numeric value indicating one of the following categories: clear; liquid
water; super-cooled liquid water; mixed phase; ice, and; unknown.

very respectfully,

randy

On Apr 19, 2013, at 5:59 AM, Jonathan Gregory wrote:

> Dear Randy
>
> There is another way to do it, which makes the files more self-describing and
> has been suggested for other similar situations. You could instead define the
> standard_name for a new string-valued quantity such as cloud_phase_category,
> but store the data in the file in numeric form using flag_values and
> flag_meanings.  Then you don't have to standardise the actual numbers used.
> I suppose that the permitted strings should be part of the definition of the
> standard name (instead of defined numerical values).
>
> Best wishes
>
> Jonathan
>
> ----- Forwarded message from "rho...@excaliburlabs.com"
> <rho...@excaliburlabs.com> -----
>
>> From: "rho...@excaliburlabs.com" <rho...@excaliburlabs.com>
>> To: cf-metadata@cgd.ucar.edu
>> Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 18:05:09 -0400
>> Subject: [CF-metadata] new standard_name needed for cloud_phase (an
>>      enumeration type)
>>

>> Folks:   The GOES-R ground system is generating a cloud phase quantity.
>> This is derived from the imager aboard the geostationary satellite.   The
>> quantity can take on six  value (i.e. it is an categorical / enumeration
>> type) where each value defines a different cloud phase category - Clear(0),
>> liquid water(1), super-cooled liquid water(2), mixed phase(3), ice(4),
>> unknown(5).     I looked through the current CF standard_name table and
>> could not find any enumeration types other than the binary_masks.     Here
>> is a first cut at a proposal that generally follows the existing
>> binary_mask standard_names:     standard_name: cloud_phase_category
>> definition: X_category has six categories where 0=clear, 1=liquid water,
>> 2=super-cooled liquid water, 3=mixed phase, 4=ice, and 5=unknown.     very
>> respectfully,   randy

Randy C. Horne (rho...@excaliburlabs.com)
Principal Engineer, Excalibur Laboratories Inc.
voice & fax: (321) 952.5100
url: http://www.excaliburlabs.com