And I wasn't going to say anything else, but this crystallized an issue or two
from past mails. I promise to (try to) let it go after this.

On Jan 15, 2014, at 12:37, Chris Barker <chris.bar...@noaa.gov> wrote:

> There is an existing rule about what charactors can be used for variable
> names, that's it -- and we've given a couple not-all-that compelling reasons
> why that rule is good, and no reason other than maybe taste, why that rule
> would be extended.

I don't think multiple use cases from different individuals and communities
should be categorized as "no reason other than maybe taste".  Just sayin'...

> (and it certainly shouldn't be removed completely -- variable names with
> arbitrary bytes in them would really be a mess). Is it ascii-only now? it
> probably should stay that way.

This prompts me to observe that somehow, in this brave new age of computer
programming, people are developing netCDF software that supports Unicode
characters -- Unicode!! -- in variable (attribute etc) names. There will be
netCDF files in the wild, used by scientists and normal people (especially
normal people from non-English-speaking countries) that use all sorts of wild
and crazy characters in their variable names. (Perhaps CF thinks these are
"alphanumeric", in which case I've found a solution! The standard certainly is
not explicitly ASCII-only.)  By the way, I was amazed to learn that using
Unicode in programming languages is starting to take hold.

At some point, we in the CF-supporting community are going to have to support
the standard practices in this aspect that are going on everywhere else in the
software world, or decide we want a permanent back-water for the 'scientists
who are not interested in or capable of supporting these practices' (not my
claim).

> Perhaps there are some reasons to want less-restrictive variable names -- I'm
> not always that imaginative, but if so, then present them.

Let's just make the list so far, to get everyone up to speed with the
discussion:
* easier visual parsing (taste, yes, but practical also if you work with lots
of data sets from different communities)
* embedding semantic meaning (taste)
* clearly isolating the context (namespace, hierarchy)
* matching attribute names that come from the source data
* consistency with netCDF usage/files -> easier onboarding of those files
* Unicode/internationalization support

John