Hi.

So I went and dug into the source code for UDUNITS and UDUNITS-2. Both versions of UDUNITS allow a wide variety of epoch date/time formulations with and without space delimiters between just about any of the components, with and without leading zeros, with and without a 'T' between the date and the time, and allowing 'UTC', 'GMT', or 'Z' (in addition to the 'classical' YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss[.sss] [-]h:mm form).

So on one level this seems like a case for modifying the documentation without a formal change to the convention. Except...

The CF time convention is out there already with the pretty well understood classical form that I mentioned above. Software written to that form could very well break if a different form is used. In addition, there is an issue that connects with all of this that I've been horribly slow to write a ticket on. It has to do with time systems other than UTC, such as native GPS and TAI, that don't have leap seconds.

At the very minimum, we need to make it very clear that times without offsets or designators ARE NOT local times. This is baked deeply enough into CF and existing data sets that I don't see any clean way to go with ISO8061.

This leads me to think that any change should be considered a change to the time convention, not just a document edit.

Grace and peace,

Jim