in variable time

From: CF-metadata
<cf-metadata-boun...@cgd.ucar.edu<mailto:cf-metadata-boun...@cgd.ucar.edu>> on
behalf of Ajay Krishnan - NOAA Affiliate
<ajay.krish...@noaa.gov<mailto:ajay.krish...@noaa.gov>>
Date: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 11:07 AM
To: "cf-metadata@cgd.ucar.edu<mailto:cf-metadata@cgd.ucar.edu>"
<cf-metadata@cgd.ucar.edu<mailto:cf-metadata@cgd.ucar.edu>>
Subject: [CF-metadata] Handling time when date is "missing"

Hi All,

I have a user that's converting some IMMA format files to CF compliant NetCDF
files.

The problem is that, we've run into several measurements where just the hour of
measurement has been recorded without the corresponding "date". We would prefer
not to omit these data in the conversion, because they are considered valid
measurements (and play a role in monthly summary statistics)

How do we represent this in a valid CF NetCDF format since we can't use
_FillValues for 'time'? Any suggestions for handling such special cases?

Thanks,
Ajay