Then, isn't this proposal just the first step in the creation of a new
model and a new encoding of Simple Features, one that is "align[ed] ...
with as many other encoding standards in this space as is practical"? In
other words, yet another standard for Simple Features?

If so, it seems risky to me to take just the first (easy?) step "to support
the use cases that have a compelling need today" and not solve the entire
problem. I know the CF way is to just solve real, current needs, but in
this case it seems to risk a head slap moment in the future when we realize
that, in order to deal with some new simple feature variant, we should have
done things differently from the beginning?

And it seems odd to reject existing standards that have been so
painstakingly hammered out, in favor of starting the process all over
again.  We follow existing standards for other things (e.g., IEEE-754 for
representing floating point numbers in binary files), why can't we follow
an existing Simple Features standard?

---
Rather than just be a naysayer, let me suggest a very different alternative:

There are several projects in the CF realm (e.g., this Simple Features
project, Discrete Sampling Geometry (DSG), true variable-length Strings,
ugrid(?)) which share a common underlying problem: how to deal with
variable-length multidimensional arrays: a[b][c], where the length of the c
dimension may be different for different b indices.
DSG solved this (5 different ways!), but only for DSG.
The Simple Features proposal seeks to solve the problem for Simple Features.
We still have no support for Unicode variable-length Strings.

Instead of continuing to solve the variable-length problem a different way
every time we confront it, shouldn't we solve it once, with one small
addition to the standard, and then use that solution repeatedly?
The solution could be a simple variant of one of the DSG solutions, but
generalized so that it could be used in different situations.
An encoding standard and built-in support for variable-length data arrays
in netcdf-java/c would solve a lot of problems, now and in the future.
Some work on this is already done: I think the netcdf-java API already
supports variable-length arrays when reading netcdf-4 files.
For Simple Features, the problem would reduce to: store the feature (using
some specified existing standard like WKT or WKB) in a variable-length
array.