Hi.

I must respectfully disagree with any change to the solar irradiance definition. The definition is accurate and correct, whether you are a solar physicist or an oceanographer. The Wikipedia article on solar irradiance gives good definitions for the various specific terms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_irradiance

Notice that none of the various terms ever treat the direct solar power per unit area of a horizontal surface as a quantity unto itself. The Vaisala definitions are essentially the same as the ones in the Wikipedia article. The terms in use are:

 * Total Solar Irradiance - The power per unit area incident on a
   surface normal to the sun from direct solar radiation measured at
   top of atmosphere.
 * Direct Normal Irradiance - The power per unit area incident on a
   surface normal to the sun from direct solar radiation measured at
   the surface.
 * Diffuse Horizontal Irradiance - The power per unit area incident on
   a horizontal surface from all sources other than direct solar radiation.
 * Global Horizontal Irradiance - The power per unit area incident on a
   horizontal surface from all sources, including direct solar radiation.

I found one reference online to Direct Horizontal Irradiance. It does not appear to be in common use in any community.

I can see defining standard names for the four terms above, but I think that prior usage and general science usage call for solar_irradiance to be associated only with TSI. So, we could have standard names

 * total_solar_irradiance
 * direct_normal_irradiance
 * direct_horizontal_irradiance
 * diffuse_horizontal_irradiance
 * global_horizontal_irradiance

with solar_irradiance as an alias for total_solar_irradiance, or vice versa, but I think we shouldn't alter the definition of solar_irradiance.

Grace and peace,

Jim