Dear Karl, All,

No further comments have been received so the following aliases are now
accepted for publication in the standard name table (next update scheduled for
April 16th).

surface_litter_carbon_content becomes
surface_litter_mass_content_of_carbon (kg m-2)
' "Litter" is dead plant material in or above the soil. It is distinct from
coarse wood debris. The precise distinction between "fine" and "coarse" is
model dependent. "Surface litter" means the part of the litter resting above
the soil surface. "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The sum of the
quantities with standard names surface_litter_mass_content_of_carbon and
subsurface_litter_mass_content_of_carbon has the standard name
litter_mass_content_of_carbon.'

subsurface_litter_carbon_content becomes
subsurface_litter_mass_content_of_carbon (kg m-2)
 ' "Litter" is dead plant material in or above the soil. It is distinct from
coarse wood debris. The precise distinction between "fine" and "coarse" is
model dependent. "Subsurface litter" means the part of the litter mixed within
the soil below the surface. "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The
sum of the quantities with standard names surface_litter_mass_content_of_carbon
and subsurface_litter_mass_content_of_carbon has the standard name
litter_mass_content_of_carbon.'

litter_carbon_content becomes
litter_mass_content_of_carbon (kg m-2)
' "Litter" is dead plant material in or above the soil. It is distinct from
coarse wood debris. The precise distinction between "fine" and "coarse" is
model dependent. "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The sum of the
quantities with standard names surface_litter_mass_content_of_carbon and
subsurface_litter_mass_content_of_carbon has the standard name
litter_mass_content_of_carbon.'

litter_carbon_flux becomes
mass_flux_of_carbon_into_litter_from_vegetation (kg m-2 s-1)
' "Litter" is dead plant material in or above the soil. It is distinct from
coarse wood debris. The precise distinction between "fine" and "coarse" is
model dependent. In accordance with common usage in geophysical disciplines,
"flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics.'

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment                                 Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/Centre for Environmental Data Archival    Email: alison.pamm...@stfc.ac.uk
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
R25, 2.22
Harwell Oxford, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.