Dear CF list,

I took a bit longer to write down the proposed definitions of these 3 standard
names.

standard name: sea_water_temperature_difference
units: K
Sea water temperature is the in situ temperature of the sea water. The standard
name "sea_water_temperature_difference" can be used (as an auxiliary
coordinate) together with the standard name
"ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_defined_by_temperature" to define its temperature
criterion.

standard name: sea_water_sigma_theta_difference
units: kg/m3
Sigma-theta of sea water is the potential density (i.e. the density when moved
adiabatically to a reference pressure) of water having the same temperature and
salinity, minus 1000 kg m-3. The standard name
"sea_water_sigma_theta_difference" can be used (as an auxiliary coordinate)
together with the standard name
"ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_defined_by_sigma_theta" to define its sigma_theta
criterion.

standard name: sea_water_sigma_t_difference
units: kg/m3
Sigma-t of sea water is the density of water at atmospheric pressure (i.e. the
surface) having the same temperature and salinity, minus 1000 kg m-3. The
standard name "sea_water_sigma_t_difference" can be used (as an auxiliary
coordinate) together with the standard name
"ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_defined_by_sigma_t" to define its sigma_t
criterion.

Alternatively, we could move the last sentence of each description to the
respective "ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_defined_by_*" standard names to make
that specific usage more explicit. We then keep a more general description for
the new "*_difference" standard names.

/Sébastien