Hi Jonathan,

Yes, the change of units is unfortunate. However, there are now operational
platforms generating data using this projection as it stands. It will be
years (if ever) before a change like this would propagate through those
operational systems.

This means software would have to support two variants and I am very
hesitant to move in that direction.

There is much discussion in Trac #72 comments 12
<https://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/72#comment:12>, 13
<https://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/72#comment:13>, 14
<https://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/72#comment:14> on the whys and
wherefores around the transformation between radians and meters for these
coordinates. I wonder if there is an alternate path forward that would
allow us to keep projection_{x|y}_coordinate for this projection. Maybe add
(a very brief) discussion of how radians maps in this case to linear
distance. Not perfect but perhaps better than the alternative.

Cheers,

Ethan