Dear list,

In 2016/2017, a list of new standard names for NEMO output has been proposed
and accepted :
http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2016/058964.html

from that initial list of standard names and after many iterations, one of the
accepted standard name was:

standard name: integral_wrt_depth_of_sea_water_practical_salinity
units: m

But the initial list of proposed standard names had actually 2 entries for this
standard name:

- one entry which is the one that eventually made it to the list (the standard
name above)
- a second entry for the case where the depth is the total depth, from surface
to sea floor: ocean_integral_wrt_depth_of_sea_water_practical_salinity

During the discussion:
 -  Alison argued that the 2 entries were actually identical, the second one
being simply a special case of the first one, i.e. when the depth corresponds
to the total depth. She proposed later on to simply dropped the second entry.
 -  Antonio Cofino argued that in this case the reference to Axis and to bounds
should be removed from the description because in the case of the total depth,
the bounds are not a constant (but function of lat and lon)

In the published description the reference to an axis and to bounds is still
there.

My immediate problem is that I want to produce a parameter that is the integral
wrt the whole depth of the salinity and I don't know how to do this.

for a fixed depth of 500m for instance, the metadata for the parameter would be:

float salinity500(t, y, x) ;
    salinity500:standard_name =
"integral_wrt_depth_of_sea_water_practical_salinity" ;
    salinity500:units = "m" ;
    salinity500:coordinates = "time dpt500 latitude longitude" ;
float dpt500 ;
    dpt500:standard_name = "depth_below_geoid" ;
    dpt500:units = "m" ;
    dpt500:axis = "Z" ;
    dpt500:positive = "down" ;
    dpt500:bounds = dpt500_bnds ;
float dpt500_bnds(bnds) ;

and in the dpt500_bnds array, I have : [0., 500.]

for the total depth, I can't use the same mechanism, because the second value
of the bounds is not a constant, it is a function of lat and lon: [0.,
f(lat,lon)]

How can I solve this?

Is it possible to reconsider the standard name
ocean_integral_wrt_depth_of_sea_water_practical_salinity (or a variation of it)?
Another approach could be to keep the existing standard name, add a new
standard name that represents the total water column and use it as an auxiliary
coordinate.

thanks,

Dr. S├ębastien Villaume

M.A.R.S. Analyst