From: Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC [mailto:martin.juc...@stfc.ac.uk]
Sent: 12 April 2018 15:53
To: Alison Pamment - UKRI STFC <alison.pamm...@stfc.ac.uk>; Jones, Chris D
<chris.d.jo...@metoffice.gov.uk>; cf-metadata@cgd.ucar.edu
Subject: Re: New standard names for C4MIP - part 2

Dear Chris, Alison,

We do have a requirement for "raOther" in CMIP6, so please go ahead. But, for
consistency with the others I think it should be "_due_to_plant_respiration_",
rather that just "_due_to_respiration_", and include a phrase on plant
respiration in the help text. I've checked some background, to fill in gaps in
my education, and learned that fungi are no longer plants ... at least not in
the strict sense of the accepted scientific classification system. In order for
these standard names to be correct for the requested variables, which are for
autotrophic fluxes, I think we should make clear that we are using "plant" in
this scientific sense, rather than in the broader sense following the pre-1960
classification. With this meaning, I think we can strengthen the statement
about autotrophs since, as far as I can tell, all plants are autotrophs. The
current help text for "plant_respiration_carbon_flux" implies that plants
respire biomass, which doesn't look right to me.

The current text used in the description of "plant_respiration_carbon_flux" is:
"Plant respiration is the sum of respiration by parts of plants both above and
below the soil. Plants which photosynthesise are autotrophs i.e. "producers" of
the biomass which they respire from inorganic precursors using sunlight for
energy." Following the discussion below, I think it would be worth modifying
this to: "Plant respiration is the sum of respiration by parts of plants both
above and below the soil. It is assumed that all the respired carbon dioxide is
emitted to the atmosphere. Plants refers to the kingdom of plants in the modern
classification which excludes fungi.  Plants are autotrophs i.e. "producers" of
the biomass using carbon obtained from carbon dioxide."

I agree with the suggestion on modification of names for surface upward fluxes,

regards,

Martin