This would clarify that the sea floor is meant as location of the sediment. It would also clarify that not bare rock is meant.

Cheers,
Daniel

On 16.05.2018 11:42, Lowry, Roy K. wrote:

Thanks Daniel,

Couple of additional thoughts that struck me. Is there possibility of confusion between seafloor sediment and suspended sediment? What if the seabed was bare rock?  So, might:

moles_of_nitrogen_per_unit_area_in_seabed

be better?

Let’s see if we get any other thoughts on the list.

Cheers, Roy.

*From:*CF-metadata <cf-metadata-boun...@cgd.ucar.edu> *On Behalf Of *Daniel Neumann
*Sent:* 16 May 2018 09:28
*To:* CF Metadata Mail List <cf-metadata@cgd.ucar.edu>
*Subject:* Re: [CF-metadata] No standard names for element concentrations in sediment?

Dear Roy,

> I think benthos chemistry is virgin territory for CF - not really surprising for a standard that started in the atmosphere before dipping its toes in the ocean.

:-)

> I'm presuming your coming from a modelling perspective,

Yes

In our current model setup (ecosystem model of the water column) we have a fairly simple sediment and write out the nitrogen amount per m2.

This name might be appropriate for this purpose:
moles_of_nitrogen_per_unit_area_in_sediment

unit:
mol/m2

moles_of_X_per_unit_area_in_Y describes the amount of X in a column with unity base area of material/compartment Y. 'Sediment' means particulate matter bound at the sea floor. Information on the location of the interface between water column and sediment can be provided via the comment attribute.

Cheers,
Daniel