Dear Karl,

I wasn't aware of the rule (2) you refer to .. there may be a number of other
terms that need to be reconsidered if we intend to impose this.

There is a disagreement between Jonathan and yourself about he nature of the
clear sky radiative fluxes: Jonathan has expressed the opinion that the clear
sky fluxes are, like the proposed "due_to_ambient_aerosol_.." terms, calculated
by running the radiative transfer module in a diagnostic model. This view is
supported by the Ghan 2013 paper
(https://www.atmos-chem-phys.net/13/9971/2013/acp-13-9971-2013.pdf ) which
describes the relationship between the clear sky fluxes and a new set of
"clean-clear-sky" diagnostics. New standard names for these "clean-clear-sky"
fluxes have been in the CF Editor for some time (e.g.
downwelling_shortwave_flux_in_air_assuming_clean_clear_sky --
http://cfeditor.ceda.ac.uk/proposal/1488 ).

If Jonathan is correct, then the proposed new terms are consistent with the
approach used for clear sky fluxes,

regards,

Martin