From: Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juc...@stfc.ac.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, 14 May 2019 12:02
To: Hollis, Dan <dan.hol...@metoffice.gov.uk>; Gregory, Jonathan
<j.m.greg...@reading.ac.uk>; cf-metadata@cgd.ucar.edu; jbi...@cicsnc.org
Subject: Re: [CF-metadata] Missing data bins in histograms

Hello Dan,

I think there is a method for recording the number of valid observations in
each data point, which, if I've understood correctly, would meet the
requirement you are describing: using an "ancillary_variable" with standard
name "number_of_observations".  I don't think there is a method for explicitly
recording missing values, but you can use "interval" (in the "cell_methods"
comment) to specify the interval of input data which, together with the
duration of the calculation, will tell you the maximum amount of input values
available.

In your use-case the number of missing values would be part of the ancillary
information, in my use case it is the data itself -- the users want a histogram
which includes a count of failed retrievals,

regards,

Martin