> <cfquery name="check_email" datasource="localads">
> SELECT first_name,last_name,email FROM members WHERE email =
'#form.email#'
> </cfquery>
>
> I then need to do this kind of thing "If this Query returns TRUE, run the
> next block of code...if it's FALSE, then just exit" - but how?

The query won't return TRUE or FALSE.  It returns a query set that contains
three fields: first_name, last_name, and email.

If you want to know if any records were found just check the RecordCount
attribute of the query.  If this is 0 then no matching records were found.

<CFIF check_email.RecordCount>
    <!--- this evaluates RecordCount as a boolean value: any non-zero value
        will cause this block to execute --->
<CFELSE>
    <!--- this will run if RecordCount is 0 (and thus evaluates to the
boolean
        value of FALSE) --->
</CFIF>

Hope this helps,