>I don't think you can simply overwrite these files safely, as metadata for
>the databases is stored in the master database. At least, that's how it
>works in earlier versions. If you can shut down any database clients (like
>CF) during the process, you can restore from a backup device file (that you
>created on your development machine). This is pretty easy to do in SQL
>Server 7 and is more practical than using Data Transformation Services for
>most purposes.

This is true the master db does contain info about the DB including the
security settings and things like that. But I think as long as the services
are stopped then there should not be a problem.

Again I am not sure because the only thing I have done it with was a small
static DB but it is worth a try.