mmm...

Are you sure you want to ignore *any* number of non-numeric groups?

If so, one way would be denormalization...  storing a second copy of
the part number in the table.  This second part number would
represent the part number in a format that could be readily searched:

   Real Part #           Search Part #
   --------------        --------------
   12AB3456              123456
   1AB23456              123456
   123AB456              123456

Another way would be to use T/SQL statements, if the db is MS-SQL 7.

I would tend to recommend the denormalization... at the cost of a few
bytes in each record you greatly simplify the search process.

The input search field can be manipulated with regexp to easily
eliminate the non-numerics.

This isn't an electronics parts db, by any chance, it it>

HTH

Dick