We don't use Spectra at the moment (wish I had a spare $15,000 laying
around...), but I can tell you the way that we tackled that problem.  We
defined a table of option types (color, size, fabric, etc) and a table of
option values with foreign keys to the option types (color, red; color,
blue; size, small; size,medium ...) and then an association table that has
id's for instances of a product along with a unique combination of
option_types and option_values. The first instance of the product T-Shirt
would have a product_dtl id of 1 and the association table have records
such as (1, color, blue) (1, size, small) product_dtl id 2 would have (2,
color, blue) (2, size, medium) etc.  This gives you a way to arbitrarily
define as many option types and option values you want and then product
dtl's are combinations of those items, some of which may be defined and
some may not.  On the front end, you can do a step through process so that
if the user chooses a value for Color first, then you can query for all of
the option values for Size which are contained within product dtl's that
have an entry which include Color:Blue.  That way you never give people an
option to choose which is not a defined product combination.

Hope that helps,
Judah