Alright, a couple of things to note...

First, Dim is for declaring variables, but if you don't specify a type
then the variable is declared as a variant. Thus, instead of...

        Dim x
        x = ""

You should use...

        Dim x as String
        x = ""

Next, to check to see if a variable is null you would use the
following...

        If x Is Nothing Then
        End If

So, I think the code you are looking for is...

        If x Is Nothing Then
                X = ""
        End If

Matt Liotta