From: Dave Wilson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 02 October 2002 12:54
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Has anyone seen this before? - documented bug?

Hi all,

I've just been checking through our applications after upgrading from
CF4.5 to CFMX and came across the following strange error.

Basically I have a template which carries out various calculations to
determine insurance premiums for a vehicle. So my final output variable
is simply called "premium" - Straightforward enough.

When I run the template using CFMX, I get the following error message:
Complex object types cannot be converted to simple values. The
expression has requested a variable or an intermediate expression result
as a simple value, however, the result cannot be converted to a simple
value. Simple values are strings, numbers, boolean values, and date/time
values. Queries, arrays, and COM objects are examples of complex values.
The most likely cause of the error is that you are trying to use a
complex value as a simple one. For example, you might be trying to use a
query variable in a <CFIF> tag. This was possible in ColdFusion 2.0 but
creates an error in later versions.

Now, when I went through my calculation steps, I found that by changing
the variable name to ins_premium, everything worked fine. So, basically
my question is:

Is "premium" a reserved word? If so, is it in fact a complex object as
suggested by the error message? Is this documented or should I be
submitting it as a bug report?

TIA,
Dave