Just my $0.02...

I'd have to agree with Dave Watts, that, if you are a developer, editing
data in a database manually is rarely a good idea. If you're going to do web
development, it's important to be able manipulate data in a db through SQL.
(Ben Forta's _SQL in 10 Minutes_ is a good start. _Joe Celko's SQL for
Smarties: Advanced SQL Programming_ is also an excellent book when you get
past the basics.)

One of the good things you get from being able to use the standard SQL data
manipulation commands (select, insert, update, delete) is that you can write
scripts to do all of the work for you. For example, you can write a SQL
statement to /generate/ insert statements, or write a python script to make
updating a table easier. I can save you hours and hours of tedious work
better done by a computer.

Probably the most important reason to write all your own SQL is that you
become more aware of what you can do with the database. You can better judge
what kind of code belongs on the db (for example, as a stored procedure).

   Jeff Polaski
   "The cow is of the bovine ilk;
    One end is moo, the other, milk."
               -- Ogden Nash