On Monday, Oct 14, 2002, at 17:13 US/Pacific, S. Isaac Dealey wrote:
> There is another way to simulate variables or ranges in a case 
> statement
> with a cftry and cfcatch blocks...

try/catch is a pretty heavy operation - you should only use it for 
(unexpected) error cases, not normal operation...

How about:

        <cfset caseval = -1/>
>       <cfif myvariable gt x and myvariable lt y><cfset caseval="1"></cfif>
>       <cfif listfindnocase(mylist,myvariable)><cfset caseval="2"></cfif>
>       <cfif refindnocase(myregex,myvariable)><cfset caseval="3"></cfif>
>       ... default case stuff here ...
>               <cfswitch expression="#caseval#">
>                       <cfcase value="1">... do stuff...</cfcase>
>                       <cfcase value="2">... do stuff...</cfcase>
>                       <cfcase value="3">... do stuff...</cfcase>
>               </cfswitch>

> I've used try catch for a number of non-error handling items
> .. properly implemented, it works pretty well. Or at least it has for 
> me.

Have you timed it? (I won't even start on the stylistic implications of 
this!)

> And this is much shorter, however, with the try block, you can do all 
> kinds
> of crazy stuff in the in-between parts...

Yes, well, we won't talk about that Isaac, eh? I'll just call for those 
nice men in their white coats... :)

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my 
telephone.
  My wish has come true - I no longer know how to use my telephone."
-- Bjarne Stroustrup

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?forumid=4
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/index.cfm?sidebar=lists&body=lists/cf_talk
FAQ: http://www.thenetprofits.co.uk/coldfusion/faq
Signup for the Fusion Authority news alert and keep up with the latest news in 
ColdFusion and related topics. http://www.fusionauthority.com/signup.cfm

Reply via email to