Neil
I hope MM is looking at a Mac OS X version of CFMX -- at least for
developers.
I have been told that there isn't a large enough population of Mac OS X
servers to build a business case for releasing a supported production
version.
That said, Sybase and Oracle have released their latest db servers to
run on Mac OS X, and IBM is conducting a survey to see if there is
enough demand to warrant a DB/2 product for Mac OS X.
So, Sybase, Oracle, and maybe IBM see an opportunity to make money on
the Mac Server Market.
If IBM decides to release a Mac product, that will mean that 3 of the
top 4 production databases have Mac products.
I have Sybase and Oracle (and every other JDBC-compliant db I could
find) running on my TiBook.
I just converted a client's large SQL-Server db to Sybase to see what
is involved. As you may know, Sybase and SQL-Server share a common
ancestry, T/SQL, etc. There were a few differences, but everything
works fine, even though everything is running on the same box. It
performs well, and makes a very nice demo.
Later, I will do the same exercise with Oracle -- just 'cause I can.
Sybase_ASE, on the Mac, has an interesting feature -- using Rendezvous
(Apple's zero configuration networking) it can detect and connect
(with appropriate security) to any Sybase servers that exist on the
network or wireless. So, conceivably, you could grab your wireless
laptop, dance into a client's office, connect to his production db and
do a prepared or ad hoc CFMX demo -- no wires, no configuration, no
fiddling, no nuthin' between you and the presentation
The list of dbs that run on OS X and interface with CFMX include:
MySQL
PostgreSQL
OpenBase
PointBase Embedded
PointBase Server
FrontBase
Xindice
Sybase_ASE
Oracle9i
And to convert existing offline databases to a more robust RDBMS
suitable for online use, CFMX can interface the following running on
Mac OS X.
FileMaker
MS-Access 97/2000 running under emulation with an interface from
OpenLink Software.
The Client Sybase db that I created (mention above) was actually built
from a MS-Access 97 mdb, with CFMX programs reading the Access db, then
creating,validating, normalizing the Sybase db (using the same programs
that created the SQL-Server db, several years ago).
So, with the exception of SQL-Server and DB/2, you can run (pretty
much) everything you need for a complete CFMX developer system in
native OS X, on a single box.
It's getting there!
Dick
On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, at 01:26 AM, Robertson-Ravo, Neil (REC)
wrote:
> Hey Dick,
>
> Do you think MM are serious on porting over to Mac OS X? even its
> just in a
> developer capacity :-) (I dont think Macs will ever be a hit on the
> server
> market)
>
> Neil
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?forumid=4
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/index.cfm?sidebar=lists&body=lists/cf_talk
FAQ: http://www.thenetprofits.co.uk/coldfusion/faq
This list and all House of Fusion resources hosted by CFHosting.com. The place for
dependable ColdFusion Hosting.