From: Chris Montgomery [mailto:lists@;airtightweb.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 11:07 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: SOT:Java?

Howdy Chris,

Wednesday, October 23, 2002, 9:39:52 AM, Chris Alvarado wrote:

CA> Does anyone have any good book reccomendations to get me started
CA> down that path? I have some basic OOP experience, but none with
CA> Java, so any help would be awesome.

Are you talking about just starting out with Java? If so, I recently
purchased these two (Amazon.com has a package deal on them right now):

Beginning Java 2 SDK 1.4 Edition (Ivor Horton)

Beginning Java Objects: From Concepts to Code (Jacquie Barker)

I haven't had a chance to look at the Barker's book yet, but Horton's is
a pretty good intro to Java. Hal Helms recommended Barker's book as a
good starting point to learn about OOP in one of his recent newsletters.

CA> Also, any preferred Development Environments / Editors?

Based on a recommendation in Horton's book, I've started messing around
with JCreator ( http://www.jcreator.com/ ). It's a nice Java IDE and
pretty easy for beginners to pick up. The light edition is free, too.
Also, UltraEdit works pretty good and has a tool you can configure to
compile java files.

Chris Montgomery        monty @ airtightweb.com

--
Airtight Web Services   http://www.airtightweb.com
Web Development, Web Project Management, Software Sales