From: Sean A Corfield [mailto:sean@;corfield.org]
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 3:48 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Contribute and Studio Observation

On Monday, Nov 11, 2002, at 11:20 US/Pacific, Park, Simon wrote:
> I'm looking through the online documentation of Contribute because it
> may be
> a solution for a particular client of ours. One specific question that

> haven't seen answered is whether there is built-in publishing from a
> staging
> or development server to a production server, particularly through a
> firewall. Perhaps someone from Macromedia or who has seen the
> demonstration
> can answer this. Thanks.

Contribute is intended to allow non-technical users to edit websites
directly. When we canvassed users about workflow, most of them either
didn't use any or had something very informal. Contribute follows that
majority model: you can either publish directly back to the website or
you can email a draft for review (built-in to Contribute). Publishing
from a development / staging server to the production server is
effectively out of scope for Contribute. If you have such an
environment, you would presumably have a managed process for pushing
web content out to production. In such a scenario, you would have
Contribute users edit / publish directly to the development (or
staging) web server and then use your existing process to publish to
production.

Sean A Corfield -- Director, Architecture
Web Technology Group -- Macromedia, Inc.
tel: (415) 252-2287 -- cell: (415) 717-8473
aim: seancorfield -- http://www.macromedia.com
An Architect's View -- http://www.corfield.org/blog/

Introducing Macromedia Contribute. Web publishing for everyone.
Learn more at http://www.macromedia.com/contribute