Sure..

- Generate a random number between 1 and the number of categories.
Store that in a var, say "myCatNum".
- Generate a random number between 1 and the number of items in the
randomly generated category.  Store that in a var, say "myItemNum"
- Identify (in your db) each category with a number, beginning with 1.
- Identify (in your db) each item in a category with a number, beginning
with 1.
- Create a query that pulls the appropriate item from the appropriate
category.  Something like:

        SELECT  whateverfieldyouwant
        FROM            myTable
        WHERE           categorynumber = #myCatNum# and
                        itemnumber = #myItemNum#

This, of course, assumes that all items are stored in one table.. Not a
table for each category.

HTH

        Lee