Here's one for the cadre of real programmers, of whom I'm not a member:

I have a string of information - partially binary, partially ASCII - that
represents a number of reads from an electric meter.  The site name, dates,
etc. are stored in ASCII; record length & type designators in 2-byte binary
integers; and interval data is stored in 4-byte IEEE floating point.

I read this datafile in, using Lewis Sellers' ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
excellent CFX_binaryR tag, and process arrays of the resulting bytes for
display based on an ISO-standard datafile format.

Problem: Floating point conversion.  The ASCII is trivial (#chr(byte)#); and
I wrote a custom tag that converts the 2-byte binInts to decimal (anyone
interested?) - but the floating-point-to-decimal conversion has me pulling
out the remains of my already-endangered hair.

Anyone have any pointers on this?  CFX tags, formulae, anything?

TIA...

Brandon Whitaker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-------
"It'll get used by the same people using Opera.  People dressed in black
wearing berets."
- Dave Watts, on Mozilla
"The net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it."
- John Gilmore
"I'm sorry, I can't hear you.  God just sat on my Whoopee Cushion."
- Kibo