At 04:55 PM 6/29/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>We are about to start a fairly large project using mysql on Unix
>as our DB. I hear there is no transaction support, you can't do
>'sub selects' (Is that the same thing as a sub-query?), and that it is
>in some way 'single threaded' and/or unsuitable for multiuser
>environments...?
>Could someone with some experience explain/clarify these things and
>possibly provide some examples of where we might run into trouble...?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
>
>Mike Bannister
>geekteam.com

The thing that scared me about MySql is the lack of foreign keys.  It
allows you to define them (as required by the ANSI SQL standards I
believe), but does not actually enforce or do anything with
them.  According to their documentation, they do this to speed up the
database since integrity checks take time.  It also stated that programmers
should not be lazy, and should take the time to write any integrity checks
they feel they need into their programs.  I understand this position, to
some extent, but I find it both arrogant and dangerous.  Data integrity,
IMHO, should be handled at the database level.

My $.02

Judah