The problem is the INPUT TYPE="File" has no value attribute. Therefore there
is no way to re-populate it.

DavidB

-----Original Message-----
From: Gyrus [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 10:58 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Pre-populating a "file" form field

----- Original Message -----
> One of the fields is a "file" field however.  When I try to "pre-populate"
> that field with the original user choice, it fails.  I'm sure this is
> because of the special nature of the file field, and I've told my client
> that I do not believe it can be done.  Does anyone know of a trick to
> re-fill the file field with the users original choice?
---------------------------

I've never had a client complain about this, ergo I've never thought about
it before ;-)  But yeah, I've noticed it in passing, and thinking about it
now, the only thing that comes to mind is:

- onsubmit, copy the file field's value into a hidden field with JS
- Use this hidden field to re-populate the file field

Haven't tried it, but can't see why it wouldn't work.

Gyrus
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
work: http://www.tengai.co.uk
play: http://norlonto.net