Sean is right that in general, Unix is case-sensitive, however just as
an aside, OS X is not.  Though I would advocate using proper case on
your Mac, the HFS+ file system that OS X uses (unless you did a custom
installation) does not require it.  It will remember case, but not
require you to use it, which means that "less FOO" and "less foo" will
get you the same results (although tab completion may be
case-sensitive, but that is a function of your shell, not your OS).
The most important thing to remember is that you cannot have two files
with the same name but different case in the same directory on your Mac
while you can on any other brand of Unix that I know of.

Christian