From: Aaron Johnson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 6:36 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: session_OnStart(), application_OnStart() in CFMX

hi everyone,

Couple weeks back (developers at MINDSEYE) had some interesting
discussions
w/ Macromedia guys about what we'd like to see in upcoming CFMX
releases..
one of the features we wanted was application onstart, session onstart
type
events.. Long story short...I wrote up a couple classes that sort of
implement that functionality using the HttpSessionListener ( sorta ==
cfmx
session scope) and ServletContextListener (sorta == application scope in
cfmx) of the javax.servlet package.  You can read up here on the
background:
http://cephas.net/blog/archives/000237.html#000237

and get the Java code samples, results, and web.xml mods to make it work
here:
http://cephas.net/blog/archives/000238.html#000238

I'm interested specifically in:

a) why the sessionDestroyed method doesn't return in CFMX (or at least
doesn't appear too, did I do something wrong?)

and b) in how to best implement this (ie: can I have I a separate
listener
for each application I create by placing a WEB-INF directory w/ the
corresponding web.xml in each application's web root?)

Other questions...

1) I haven't seen any good documentation on WEB-INF specifically related
CFMX.  The other servlet containers (ie: Tomcat, JRUN... ) require a
WEB-INF
*per application*... I've not seen that recommended with CFMX.  Can you
do
that? What are the ramifications of doing so?  Anyone have any good
documentation or notes on the use of WEB-INF in CFMX?

2) You'll see in my notes on the above links that using the listeners
only
return sessionID's of J2EE based sessions.  Anyone know of a way to get
the
session information in CFMX (ie: not <cfif isDefined("session.myvar"),
rather using a listener)?

3) it's obvious after using the ServletContext class that this *isn't*
the
same thing as the Application scope in CFMX, although they both
fundementally provide the same functionality.  *Are they the same thing
under the hood?*  If not, why not?

Thanks all!

AJ

Aaron Johnson