From: Dave Watts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 9:35 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: end.cfm?

> At a place I worked at several years ago we switched
> from Win2K to Linux because Linux was a lot easier to
> administer remotely. All the production servers were
> in a rack about 30 miles away and it was too much of
> a pain for the admins to drive up there when the
> servers would get wedged. (On Linux (and Unix in general)
> you can easily administer a box over a telnet session.
> Good luck doing that w/Windows...)

I'll grant that it's easier to remotely manage Unices using telnet or ssh,
but you can actually get where you want to go with Windows - it's
easier/cheaper/quicker to set up remote administration on Windows than it is
to switch OSs, I'd guess. There are graphical management tools, like
Terminal Server; there are also command-line tools to perform nearly every
administrative task, and you can use those with the built-in Win2K telnet
server or with a third-party ssh server. I've been satisfied with VShell,
from Van Dyke Software (http://www.vandyke.com/).

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496