From: Scooter
To: CF-Talk
Sent: 3/15/2003 4:53 AM
Subject: RE: Slightly OT: MM Updaters

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the help...

I had actually found that page though, the search option had seemed like
the
logical place to begin a search... But with 294 results, it seemed at
first glance
like probably a bloated reply set with more information then I really
needed.

The first three links were pretty useful, it only took a few minutes of
skimming to
find DWMX/Fireworks/CF 2

However sorting through the next half dozen pages, I found slightly
cryptic
links... A large number of technotes... Most of which don't affect me,
the few
that do I already knew about...

I found some more links to fireworks, and freehand, which version? its
not MX?
Which one do I have again? Oh, nope, those are legacy information...
Cool, I
wonder if there's legacy information for CF 5.0? I need that, and
CFSTUDIO 5...

More technotes, no form of indexing, organised based on a method thats
not
immediately transparent, certainly not immediately navigable beyond
sifting
through 300 hits and sifting through the results and my local software
hoping to
find what I'm looking for...

As search engines go its qutie nice, but its not by any stretch an
index, or a
generated listing to solve the issue of 'how do I find a list of
updaters' it returns
search results, which have a very different logic applied.

I shouldn't need to know My MM software poackages backwards as a user. I

shouldn't need to spend hours searching through product releases. I
should be
able to go to a page, find a list of products, and from each product be
able to
click on the one I'm interested in and see a list of versions. I should
then be able
to click on the version I want, which will be organised chronologically,
so if
Idon't know I can just presume 'hey, I got this software last week,
It'll be this link
at the top' and find a nice downloadable file.

Just a thought.