We use ArcIMS for displaying data from our research department.
http://appalachia.outdoors.org/mapping/
So far it works great for us.  We also are having discussions about some much
larger projects which would utilize the system.  Ironically, we found that the
most tricky part of it all is the initial install.  Specifically getting the
java servlet engine to play nicely.  But it's just a matter of the right
configuration (and which engine you decide to use - we are on CF5 not CFMX). And there
are some great hint docs out there that will help with that (let me
know if you have problems and I can dig them up).  Once you have it installed,
it's pretty easy to use.  I would also agree with whomever posted about learning
ArcXML.  Some real power can be gained through the use of that which simply
can't be gotten any other way.

--Jeff