For question 3, the biggest difference is whether you can have CF processing
in your files.  Usually for config stuff, CF is not used, so either will
work in this case.  CFFILE does not have the overhead associated with the
CFSAVECONTENT tag (minimal, but still there), nor the CFMX compilation
cycle.  However, CFFILE doesn't get the benefit of cached templates like the
CFINCLUDE would from the CF server.  Both will benefit from filesystem-level
caching/buffers.

I suspect that CFFILE is faster than CFSAVECONTENT/CFINCLUDE because there
is no processing overhead, but you'd have to do some tests to see if that's
the case (loop over each one a few thousand times and use gettickcount() to
see how long it takes).

To get to the final point though, if it's a config file that's static, just
read it once, and cache it somewhere (probably the parsed representation,
rather than the raw data), and then the discussion is moot.

cheers,
barneyb

---
Barney Boisvert, Senior Development Engineer
AudienceCentral (formerly PIER System, Inc.)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
voice : 360.756.8080 x12
fax   : 360.647.5351

www.audiencecentral.com