What I do is set a variable in the application.cfm called path, and then
whereever you need a mapping, just use:
  #path#
for example, instead of dev/images
you set #path#  = 'dev/'
then call:
#path#images

I actually use a little conditional logic in the application.cfm to
automate it.. I set the path depending on the ip address of the host.  This
way I can move it from my development machine to the server, which has a
different directory structure, but the conditional logic is just in 1 place
(per directory), not all over the place.

Al