So far all of our applciations have run from our intranet.  I just
made a little app that needs to be open on the internet.  When I talked to
the system engineer she said:

"I will want to investigate security options such as certificates or https.
Once we configure a hole in the firewall,  we have exponentially raised the
risk that the data or systems will be compromised, so I will want to take
any appropriate preventative measures."

        I'm wondering what others have done in similar circumstances.  Is
there a set "good practices" way to do this?  And how much time would a good
solution take?
Thanks,

http://www.coolfusion.com