From: John McCosker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 03 June 2003 11:10
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Can someone help me understand how to import com.allaire.cfx

Hi all,

Im trying to write a small java app with the view to pulling them in
with CF
for some
tasks suited to the job.

This app has been copied straight from "Java for CF Developers",

//SimpleMessage.java

import com.allaire.cfx.*;
import java.util.*;
import java.text.DateFormat;

public class SimpleMessage implements CustomTag{
        Date now=new Date();
        DateFormat
f=DateFormat.getDateInstance(DateFormat.FULL,Local.US);

        public void processRequest(Request request, Response response)
                throws Exception

                {
                        f.format(now);
                        String name=request.getAttribute("NAME");
                        response.write("Hello, "+name+"! Today is "+f);
                }
}

this file sits in c:/cfusionmx/wwwroot/web-inf/public/

obviously I want to implement this as a custom tag so Im trying to
import
the Allaire interfaces  - com.allaire.cfx,
this sits at c:\cfusionmx\lib\cfx.jar

The problem is I can't,

the classpath is set in administrator as c:\cfusionmx\lib\cfx.jar,

I tried putting the jar file in the same directory as my java file,
I also tried javac -classpath %classpath%;c:cfusionmx\lib\cfx.jar
c:\cfusionmx\wwwroot\web-inf\public\SimpleMessage.java,

anyway this command gave this error,

C:\CFusionMX\wwwroot\WEB-INF\public>javac -classpath
%classpath%;c:cfusionmx\lib
\cfx.jar c:\cfusionmx\wwwroot\web-inf\public\SimpleMessage.java
c:\cfusionmx\wwwroot\web-inf\public\SimpleMessage.java:1: package
com.allaire.cf
x does not exist
import com.allaire.cfx.*;
^ etc....................

The compiler just doesnt know where the jar file is,

I don't understand either how com.allaire is being called in the package
reference either,
I dont know where com.allaire is coming from, I know about designing
packages, and if i'm right packages are directories,
well cfx.jar is sitting in cfusionmx/lib/ not com/allaire/

overall error, I do understand the falling errors are caused due the tag
having not been inplemented, well some!

javac SimpleMessage.java
SimpleMessage.java:1: package com.allaire.cfx does not exist
import com.allaire.cfx.*;
^
SimpleMessage.java:5: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class CustomTag
location: class SimpleMessage
public class SimpleMessage implements CustomTag{
                                      ^
SimpleMessage.java:9: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class Request
location: class SimpleMessage
        public void processRequest(Request request, Response response)
                                   ^
SimpleMessage.java:9: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class Response
location: class SimpleMessage
        public void processRequest(Request request, Response response)
                                                    ^
SimpleMessage.java:7: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : variable Local
location: class SimpleMessage
        DateFormat
f=DateFormat.getDateInstance(DateFormat.FULL,Local.US);
                                                                ^
5 errors

ColdFusion and related topics.