We are trying to follow good OO coding standards as we develop our CFCs, but
have hit a minor snag.

Basically, an action page will call a business rule component.  But first,
it needs to know where we've stored the components.  That's fine, I can set
a variable in Application.cfm.  Now the business rule component may have
need to access other components (other BR or data access components), I can
hard code the path to the components during development, but it'd be VERY
nice if I didn't have to replace these values when the project is delivered
(different server and base directory) or we moved our development server.
How do YOU handle this?

We've toyed with the idea of using a central configuration object which all
objects could instantiate if needed, but then how does the CFC know where
the config.cfc is?  Next, we considered specifying a variable in the Request
scope, but this means the components MUST know something about the
environement they are being used in, which breaks OO coding standards (think
black box).  So, the only other option we can think off is to pass the path
to the objects, either on a per function basis, or through an "init"
function right after the component is created.  This option is probably the
most robust overall, but means revising a number of components that already
exist.  So, I'm thinking that leaves us with the Request scope variable.
Are there any other options we're missing?  (reading from a file presents
the same problem - how does the cfc know where the file is located without
breaking OO standards?).

Thanks for any input/suggestions.

Shawn

resources for the community.